Friday, January 01, 2010

Steampunk jewelry Artist : Daniel Proulx





My name is Daniel Proulx from Montreal. I make Wire-wrapped Steampunk Jewelry with brass, copper and gemstones

INSPIRATION:
I always was very interested in fantasy imaginary world such as Dungeon & Dragon, Lord of the Rings and Science fiction. I’m also inspired by the mix of mechanical, organic shapes and contrast between ancient and futuristic designs.

HOW IT BEGAN:
In April of 2008 I started to make rings just for fun after Catherine (My better half) learned how to make simple wire rings during a 2 hour lesson. I just watched how she made it and tried. Since then I spent several hours every day perfecting and developing my own technique to create an original design. I quickly started to make very retro-futurist model of rings. At that time I decided embarked into this adventure, quit my job and try to live on my jewelry full-time.

One day a friend told me what i was doing was Steampunk . I research the subject and fell in love with this culture . I always liked Steampunk but i didn't know there was a name for it . 

Since 2008 i have sold over 5000 pieces , including sculptures of robots , insect and interesting critters . 

Since then i have also been given the amazing opportunity to have my work featured the first ever Steampunk Exhibition to be held at a major museum at the University of Oxford in the UK in 2009 at the Mark Twain and House Museum Steampunk Exhibition and the Kew Steam bridge Museum . 


My creations also been featured in several Magazine , Newspapers and Books :
- The Art of Steampunk by Art Donovan 
- 1000 Steampunk Creations 
- Steampunk: An Illustrated History of Fantastical Fiction, Fanciful Film and Other Victorian Visions
- International Steampunk Fashion 

Recently one of my rings was also worn by Allison Scagliotti ( Claudia Donovan ) in Warehouse 13 season 2 and one of my sculpture is featured on one of Neil Gaiman's book .

In addition i have been invited as a Special Guest at Fan Expo Canada , ComicCon Montreal , ComicCon Ottawa and Otakuthon where i organized panels with the collaborations of the local Steampunk Community , Steampunk Montreal and Steampunk Canada . 



Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me .
I really appreciate all the support you have given me .
It helped me become a successful artist.

Sincerely
Daniel Proulx



7 comments:

blueditty said...

Great stuff!

Jane and Dick said...

Beautiful pieces! Absolutely gorgeous! Love 'em! You rock!

Penelope Grey said...

I visited this exhibition last week in Oxford and found the whole thing quite inspiring. I already had a vague idea of what steampunk was all about but my husband totally loved it when he saw all the displays.

Until We Bead Again, Beth Murr said...

Love your work. You simply the best on the net!
Until We Bead Again, Beth Murr

Unknown said...

fantastic :3
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55271234/steampunk-jewelry-ring-labradorite-size

Unknown said...

Everything is absolutely stunning!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/55271234/steampunk-jewelry-ring-labradorite-size

Unknown said...

Your work is fantastic. I was wondering if you had any advice for someone trying to make some Steampunk gifts for some friends. I've been having trouble with the wire wrapping bit. Your work has been great inspiration to me, and actually got me into the Steampunk genre. Great work and I hope to see some more masterpieces soon.